|"Episode 811: A Christmas They Never Forgot"|
| Season 8, Episode 811 |
# overall in Series
|Original air date||December 21, 1981|
|Written by||Don Balluck|
|Directed by||Michael Landon|
| Previous episode:|
Wave of the Future
| Next episode:|
No Beast so Fierce
Adam and Mary return to Walnut Grove for Christmas, and arrive at the Ingalls' just ahead of a fierce blizzard. The Ingalls, along with their friend, Hester Sue, spend the snowy Christmas Eve recalling favorite holiday memories.
- Michael Landon: Charles Ingalls
- Karen Grassle: Caroline Ingalls
- Melissa Sue Anderson: Mary Ingalls Kendall
- Melissa Gilbert: Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Missy Francis: Cassandra Ingalls
- Jason Bateman: James Ingalls
- Wendi and Brenda Turnbaugh: Grace Ingalls
- Dean Butler: Almanzo Wilder
- Linwood Boomer: Adam Kendall
- Ketty Lester: Hester-Sue Terhune
- Matthew Laborteaux: Albert Quinn Ingalls
- Victor French: Isaiah Edwards
- Newell Alexander: Frederick Holbrook
- Oliver Aubrey: Santa Claus
- Vernon Barnwell: Boy #1
- Rodney Booker: Boy #2
- Dago Dimster: Young Royal
- Don Dubbins: Master Hayes
- Eddy C. Dyer: Mr. Terhune
- Helbi Ziroe: Mrs. Terhune
- Tom Lester: Mr. Wilder
- Maggie Gwinn: Mrs. Wilder
- Kathleen McNaughton: Emily
- Kathy Pazoff: Young Eliza Jane
- Sheri Strahl: Young Caroline
- Jerry Supiran: Young Almanzo
- Holly Villaire: Charlotte Holbrook
- Alene Wilson: Young Hester-Sue
- Rebecca Wolfe: Young Alice Wilder
- Last appearances of Melissa Sue Anderson and Linwood Boomer.
- Almanzo (while talking about a Christmas he had as a boy): There were lots of presents on Christmas morning, but none for Royal. I was sure my Pa was right, Santa Claus got mad at old Royal for poking around where he shouldn't have. Royal never said there wasn't a Santa after that. That was about the best Christmas I ever had.
- Laura: And when did you stop believing in Santa Claus?
- Almanzo: I never have. And you better not go poking around!
- Hester Sue (while talking about how her father dressed up as Santa in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve): You know, I never knew that was Papa until years later, after he was gone. And I still have that doll wrapped and put away. It's something I will never give up.
- Caroline: I can see why that's a Christmas you'll never forget.
- Hester Sue: And so is this one, because I'm with people I love.
- [In Hester Sue's flashback]
- Young Hester Sue: We ain't never gonna get anything like that.
- Mother: Now, how do you know that, missy?
- Young Hester Sue: Cuz I know. Cuz Santa Claus is white.
- Father: Now, who told you that?
- Young Hester Sue: Everybody knows that.
- Father: I don't. Why, Santa Claus lives all the way in the North Pole.
- Young Hester Sue: Then who was that in the store?
- Father: That was just a man pretending. Why, nobody knows what the real Santa looks like.
- Young Hester Sue: I do. He's a big jolly man, with a white beard and a white face. That's why we ain't never gonna get nothing good for Christmas!
- [In Hester Sue's flashback]
- Boy 2: Wishing is all you can do.
- Boy 1: How do you know? I've been good!
- Boy 2: You think Santa Claus cares if you're good?
- Boy 1: Sure he does.
- Boy 2: You'll learn when you get older. Santa don't bring nothing like that to black children. It's all for the whites.
- Boy 1: How do you know that?
- Boy 2: Just look at him! He's a white man! He takes care of his own.
- [In Caroline's flashback]
- Caroline's Mother: Caroline, darling, I can't stand to see you feeling this way.
- Caroline: I miss Pa so bad.
- Caroline's Mother: I know. So do I.
- Caroline: No you don't! How could you miss Pa?
- Caroline's Mother: Caroline...
- Caroline: How could you miss him at all, and marry somebody else?
- Caroline's Mother: Your stepfather is...
- Caroline: Don't call him that! He'll never be my stepfather! I hate him!
- Caroline's Mother: Don't say that!
- Caroline: I do! I hate him!
- Caroline's Mother: The other children don't feel that way.
- Caroline: Yes they do! They're just afraid to say it!
- Caroline's Mother: That's not true! Frederick is a fine man!
- Frederick (walks in from the rain, smiling): I'm absolutely soaked.
- (Caroline runs to her room)
- Caroline's Mother: Frederick, I'm so sorry.
- Frederick: She'll get over it.
- Caroline's Mother: I'm not so sure she will.
- Charles: You know what? I'm glad we got snowed in. I mean, what more can a man ask for? A beautiful morning, a house full of loved ones and a brand-new scarf.
- Caroline: Charles Ingalls! You peeked?
- Charles: Well, of course I did. You're always telling me I act like a child.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.