|Season 1, Episode 10 |
#10 overall in Series
|Series:||Little House on the Prairie|
|Original air date||November 13, 1974|
|Written by||Ward Hawkins|
|Directed by||Michael Landon|
|Guest starring:||Dirk Blocker|
"School Mom" was the ninth episode of Season 1 of Little House on the Prairie, also the ninth overall episode in the series. Written by Ward Hawkins, the episode, which was directed by Michal Landon, originally aired on NBC-TV on November 13, 1974.
When Miss Beadle is injured and ordered to rest per Doc Baker, Caroline takes over as substitute teacher of Walnut Grove School. During her tenure, an uneducated youth named Abel enrolls. Abel is relentlessly teased because he is illiterate. Eventually, the harassment and Mrs. Oleson's meddling become too much, and Caroline orders the school closed. Caroline then takes it upon herself to teach Abel to read.
Caroline becomes the substitute teacher when Ms. Beadle sprains her ankle and is unable to work. Caroline takes a special interest in helping an older student, Abel, learn to read. When Mrs. Oleson causes Abel to abandon his studies, Caroline becomes angry and resigns. She returns to her duties after she convinces Abel to give school another chance.
- Michael Landon as Charles Ingalls
- Karen Grassle as Caroline Ingalls
- Melissa Gilbert as Laura Ingalls
- Melissa Sue Anderson as Mary Ingalls
- Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush as Carrie Ingalls
- Barney as Jack
Recurring cast / Guest stars
- Charlotte Stewart as Miss Eva Beadle
- Karl Swenson as Lars Hanson
- Dirk Blocker as Abel Makay
- Kelly Thordsen as Baker Makay
- Alison Arngrim as Nellie Oleson
- Tracie Savage as Christy Kennedy
- Jimmy McNichol as Harry Baker
- Jonathan Gilbert as Willie Oleson
- Robert Hoffman as Sandy Kennedy
- Dirk Blocker's (Abel) father was Dan Blocker who was one of the main characters alongside Michael Landon on Bonanza.?
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Ma's Holiday||The Raccoon|