|"Mr. Edwards' Homecoming"|
|Season 1, Episode 4 |
#4 overall in Series
|Series:||Little House on the Prairie|
|Original air date||October 2, 1974|
|IMDb||Mr. Edwards' Homecoming|
|Written by||Joel Murcott|
|Directed by||Michael Landon|
"100 Mile Walk"
"The Love of Johnny Johnson"
While in Mankato, Charles encounters a drunken Mr. Edwards in the midst of a barfight, and brings him to Walnut Grove. To rehabilitate him, Charles gets him a job at Hansen's mill while Caroline tries to set him up with widow Grace Snider. While Mr. Edwards vies for Grace's attention, his personal grudge with God seems to doom their potential relationship.
While Charles is in Mankato, he runs into Mr. Edwards and invites him to come to Walnut Grove. Caroline wants to match him up with Grace Snider, but discovers that she is just getting in the way when it becomes clear that Mr. Edwards is perfectly able to charm Grace all by himself.
- Michael Landon as Charles Ingalls
- Karen Grassle as Caroline Ingalls
- Melissa Gilbert as Laura Ingalls
- Melissa Sue Anderson as Mary Ingalls
- Lindsay Greenbush / Sidney Greenbush as Carrie Ingalls
- Barney as Jack
- Dabbs Greer as Reverend Robert Alden
- Kevin Hagen as Dr. Hiram Baker
- Karl Swenson as Lars Hanson
- Victor French as Isaiah Edwards
Uncredited Supporting Cast
- Ruth Foster as Melinda Foster
- Tex Lambert as Townsman
- Carl Pitti as Townsman
- John Quijada as Townsman
- Arnold Roberts as Townsman
- George Tracy as Townsman
- Burt Young as Bar Patron
- Melissa Gilbert has often talked about how thrilled she was to find out that Victor French (Mr. Edwards) was coming back for this episode and becoming a more regular guest star on the series. This is his first appearance since the pilot, and nobody knew for sure if he would return for the show, so it was a really special thing when he did.?
- In real life the Ingalls family met Mr. Edwards in Kansas and encountered him again, according to Laura's books, one more time in Dakota Territory. Though a memorable character, he was not the constant fixture in their lives that the series portrays. His identity is largely unknown, including his first name. Any episode that includes Edwards, sadly, is largely fictional.?
- Notice that when Mr. Edwards shows up in the final scene at Church, Grace is so happy that she starts singing about a second off-key from everybody else. It is very noticeable and quite funny.?
- This is the 2nd appearance of Mr. Edwards (Victor French) after the Pilot.
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|100 Mile Walk||The Love of Johnny Johnson|