By the Shores of Silver Lake is the fifth book in the Little House book series written by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It was published in 1939 and illustrated by Helen Sewell. In later editions new drawings by Garth Williams were added. It is the six best-selling book from the Little House series.
This book is based on Laura's late childhood spent near De Smet, South Dakota, in the late 19th Century, and is the first book in the series to reference her sister Mary's teenage illness (referred to in the book as scarlet fever) and resulting lifelong blindness. The book also introduces Laura's youngest sister Grace.
Little House Books
- Little House in the Big Woods (1932)
- Farmer Boy (1933)
- Little House on the Prairie (1935)
- On the Banks of Plum Creek (1937)
- By the Shores of Silver Lake (1939)
- The Long Winter (1940)
- Little Town on the Prairie (1941)
- These Happy Golden Years (1943)
- The First Four Years (1968)